Friday 15 April 2011

Music Magazine: Evaluation

Evaluation

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
I researched lot’s of covers and double page spreads to identity the conventions of real media products and then have attempted to use these my production. Throughout my production I used the programmes Fireworks, Mircosoft Word, Microsoft Publisher and I also used a editing website www.picnik.com.
Front cover.
Masthead- I researched a number of magazine covers, and looked at how their mastheads were placed and what fonts, colours they used. I looked at how productive they were and if they did the job of selling the magazine. There were many factors that influenced my decisions. I realised that most magazines placed their mastheads of the top of the page centred, and on the left hand side. I noticed that the mastheads were all simple fonts and they stood out from the rest of the page. Whilst making my masthead I tried a variety of fonts and sizes. First I used Mircosoft Word to choose font’s and sizes and chose the one that best suited my front cover. I used “stencil” as it took the look of the magazine style. I wanted my masthead to look realistic and professional. I realised that by making my masthead the biggest writing on the page it was obvious to see what the title was, but I tried to not distract from the rest of the page. My masthead developed from Q magazine using the fonts and sizes that they used to ensure that my front cover was not too bold or conflicting.
Cover Lines- I researched magazine covers, and the three that I analysed had different styles, some of the covers did not use lot’s or cover lines whereas some of them did use lot’s of cover lines. I realised that the cover lines were the things that were going to sell the magazine, so they needed to stand out on the page and look interesting. They were all placed very carefully on the page. I also realised that the main story’s cover line was the biggest on the page, it was normally in a bold colour and they used the word “exclusive”. I decided in the production of my cover lines that I would choose a list and see what my audience feedback thought were the most appropriate one’s to put on my cover. My main cover line was “Exclusive, Is Cheryl still sexy no no no or is she fighting for this love?” I ensured that this cover line was the most obvious one placed over my main image as I wanted my audience to realise that it was the main article in my magazine. My celebrity that I was writing about had to be backed by a good, clear cover line. That is how i made my cover line. For the rest of my cover lines i looked at other magazines and just based mine on what would the audience want to see written about? My ideas came from celebrities I had seen written about and how they were placed on the page, I created a list and selected my final cover lines from it.
Main Image- I found that from the research I carried out the main image on some covers were used to fill the whole page, some images were just used to cover a particular cover line. I wanted my image to cover the whole of my page as I wanted it to be the first thing that an audience would look at. It grabbed my attention more when the image was central and looking right at you. I developed my research further and I saw that most images covered the whole of the page of their magazine. This influenced me to do the same. Therefore my main image covers the whole of the page. Many factors were included in my decision. Where would I place it? Why was I going to place it there? What effect would this have on my target audience?

Contents Page.
Images- I researched contents pages and found that most contents page’s had more than 2 pictures of them, although some had only 2. They never had less than one. My ideas were influenced by contents page’s that weren’t clustered and it was clear. I decided that I only wanted to place 2 pictures on CP. I decided that CP would have a picture of the same person on my FC. I decided to make the picture smaller than the other as I thought it would create too much continuity. However I still wanted it link with the FC. I used fireworks to manipulate my pictures.
Colour Scheme- When researching my CP’S I realised that the colour schemes showed continuity throughout the Front cover and double page spread. I based my cover. My colour scheme stayed the same from my front cover through to my CP. I decided to keep the black, white and red colour scheme. My decision  was to keep this colour scheme throughout my whole magazine.

Name Of Magazine- I researched magazines and realised that some of the names of the magazines were simple. They were simple and stood  out. I decided to keep the title of my title simple. I decided to make my name “Alouette” as it links with my celebrity. I thought that it seemed original and that it was a name that audiences would remember.
Layout- I researched my contents pages and looked at the way they were laid out. I realised that every layout was similar in a sense that, they were laid out with pictures and titles separating the page. I decided to use 2 images on my contents page on either sides. I also used a black bar and triangle on my a3 page so separate the whole page. I used different headlines and page numbers to change them around.

Double Page Spread.
Columns- Whilst researching my double page spreads I noticed that there was a continuity of the articles being in columns as this looks professional. Most of them had a picture of the pages separating the article. I thought that by placing the article on the right hand side of the page would be more appealing to the audience. So I decided finally to keep the question and answer style in to columns of the right hand side of the page, and the image to the left.
Image- When I did my research I noticed that most of the double page spreads only used one photo. They rarely used more than one photo. I ended up using one image which I wanted to be playful and fit the style of my whole idea for my magazine.
How does your media product represent particular social groups?
My magazine is aimed at people aged over 16+. Although I think that looking back at my magazine now, I think that my magazine is geared more towards women. Although my magazine was not aimed to bias. I wanted my magazine to be aimed at that particular age range because many magazines these days are aimed from 18+ as some things are unsuitable, by gearing mine from age 16+ I think that all age ranges would benefit and enjoy reading it. Younger people are most applicable to want to read about celebrity crazes, so I gathered my overall product of on this basis. I noticed that my magazine would be aimed more at the working class as they are most likely to pick up the magazine and buy it as its about celebrity’s nothing is official, whereas middle class are hardly likely to want to read about “hear say and gossip”. They would not want to take the time to read something unofficial.
What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?
The kind of media institution that would distribute my media product would most likely be supermarkets. I think this because my magazine is geared towards 16+ and their age is shown throughout every supermarket. As well as being geared at my age range then may also grab the attention of an older person which is never a problem. I think that this institution suits my product as they would sell it on the shelf and I think that they would be able to sell many copies supermarkets being one of the biggest sellers.
 Who would be the audience for your media product?
The audience for my product would be mainly females as they it looks very feminine. However this not intentional, I think that coming from a female view products are more likely to be similar to the gender of its creator. Although this view is shown, there is nothing that would stop a male consumer who may be interested in the type of things within in my magazine. The colour scheme is the thing that I think makes it more feminine. It is definitely aimed at the age rang 16+.   
How did you attract/address your audience?

I attracted my audience by creating a questionnaire. I used 4 different pre-made covers to find out what my audience preferred. They all preferred the edgy look; the majority of these people were girls. My questionnaire was made, and I asked questions and made different colour scheme samples to see what people preferred. Most people preferred the colour scheme that I have used for my final pieces. Addressing my audience was all used within the questionnaire, I have also used audience feedback to determine what they thought was good and what they think I should have changed.
What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

I have learnt a number of things from the different technologies that i have used constructing my product.
Fireworks- Whilst using fireworks I picked up things that I would have never noticed normally. I learnt that I could manipulate the picture to get rid of backgrounds that I didn’t want.  I only used fireworks a few times so there is nothing more I can comment on.
Mircosoft Publisher- Whilst using Microsoft publisher I learnt that I could separate and move objects at the same time. I could shadow the words that I had written and made it look more professional.
After using these two programmes I started to use a website called Picnik from the internet. I realised by using this website I could change the entire picture from colour to size. This website allowed me to edit my pictures to the way I wanted them from once I took them. I think that whilst using this programme I edited most of my photos. I used mircosoft excel to create my graphs from the results of my questionnaire.
Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

Looking back at my preliminary task I think that the progression I have made to finish full product it greatly recognisable. I have learnt many different skills. I learnt that contrasting two totally different colours can make something look more professional, instead of just using typical colours which can look childlike. I have learnt that I can manipulate my work to look how the image is perceived in my head. If was to re-do my product I think that there is more i could learn from it. But overall I am happy with my final product.

No comments:

Post a Comment